Thursday, March 17, 2011

White Chicken Chili

It may seem odd to post a recipe for a warm bowl of chili just as the weather finally shows signs of long, long awaited spring, but this is a recipe I didn't want to forget! I found it on Jenna's blog, Eat Live Run, and it was really good- the best I have had to-date! It has a pretty mild spice to it so if you want really spicy, I would kick up the amount of cayenne. Also, just FYI it freezes well so it is a great make-ahead meal. I made a couple minor changes to lighten it up a little, and those changes are reflected below. (Click on the link for the original version). I can't wait to make this again next winter... or during the inevitable cold front that always comes as soon as I think we are safe into spring!
White Chicken Chili ( adapted from Eat, Live, Run)
Ingredients:
  • 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cubed
  • 1 medium onion, small diced
  • 1/2 tsp olive oil
  • 2 cans cannellini beans, drained
  • 14.5 ounces chicken broth
  • 2 4-ounce cans chopped green chilies
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp cumin
  • 1 tsp dried oregano
  • 1/4 tsp cayenne
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1/2 cup 2% milk
  • 6 ounces light sour cream
Directions:  1. Heat the oil in a large pot over medium high heat. Add the chicken and onion and cook for about 5-6 minutes, or until the chicken is seared and the onion is translucent.
2. Add the garlic and cook for another 3 minutes.
3. Add the beans, spices, chicken broth and green chilies and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for about 30 minutes.
4. Turn off the heat and add the sour cream and milk.
5. Enjoy

1 comment:

  1. I don't think there's a wrong time to post about white chicken chili. It's one of my favorite meals!

    ReplyDelete