I love taco salad, but ordering it at a restaurant definitely does not fit into the "healthy" category. They are loaded with fatty meat, cheese, sour cream, etc. That is why I only eat them when I make them at home! This salad has lean ground beef, lots of lettuce, tomato, roasted corn, black beans, and avocado- all things that are good for you and delicious. This isn't much of a recipe, but I still thought I would post because it is a great quick and healthy dinner for those busy nights.
Ingredients (for 2 salads):
- hearts of romaine salad mix (you can use anything, but I like the the crispness of this)
- 1 can black beans, drained
- 1/4 cup salsa
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 cup diced tomatoes
- 1/4 avocado sliced
- 1/2 lb 96% lean ground beef
- 1/2 pack of taco seasoning
- about 10-12 baked tortilla chips
- 1/4 cup frozen corn, thawed
- light ranch dressing (or I like to use salsa with greek yogurt as a dressing)
1. In a saucepan, heat the black beans, salsa, cumin, and chili powder together until thoroughly warmed.
2. In a nonstick skillet, cook the ground beef and add the taco seasoning (according to directions on the back of the seasoning packet).
3. Assemble the salad: layer of lettuce, topped with black beans, ground beef, tomatoes, avocado, chips and corn. That's all!