Saturday, January 30, 2010

Eating Well Avocado and White Bean Wrap

When I saw this recipe in Eating Well, I thought it looked like something I would really like, but I was a little hesitant because I wasn't sure if a vegetarian wrap was something Nick would be thrilled about. But since he is up for trying almost anything, I decided to make them. I am so glad I did! It really exceeded my expectations, and even Nick really enjoyed it! The white bean and avocado mixture was so creamy and was complemented well by the tangy crunch of the slaw. I will definitely make these again in the future. The original recipe can be found here. I only made a couple small changes by reducing the amount and type of oil and eliminating the cilantro because we don't like it.


Ingredients

2 tablespoons cider vinegar
1 teaspoon olive oil
2 teaspoons finely chopped canned chipotle chile in adobo sauce
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups shredded cabbage
1 medium carrot, shredded
1 15-ounce can white beans, rinsed
1 ripe avocado
1/2 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
2 tablespoons minced red onion
4 8- to 10-inch whole-wheat wraps, or tortillas

Directions
1. Whisk vinegar, oil, chipotle chile and salt in a medium bowl. Add cabbage and carrot; toss to combine.
2. Mash beans and avocado in another medium bowl with a potato masher or fork. Stir in cheese and onion.
3. To assemble the wraps, spread about 1/2 cup of the bean-avocado mixture onto a wrap (or tortilla) and top with about 2/3 cup of the cabbage-carrot slaw. Roll up. Repeat with remaining ingredients. Cut the wraps in half to serve, if desired.

2 comments:

  1. this sounds very interesting. I think I may try it sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisa- You should try them! Let me know what you think!

    ReplyDelete