1. It is so easy, and takes very little "active" prep time!
2. It's tasty!
3. Flank steak is fairly lean and a good source of iron!
Real Simple, and it is just that! I don't cook beef very often at home, but I saw the recipe for Cuban Braised Beef and Peppers and thought it would be a good one to try. I'm glad we did because it turned out great for the little work it required! It also was great as leftovers since it made much more than the 2 of us could eat. I served it over steamed brown rice and with a side of steamed green beans. I made a couple of changes which are shown below. Here is the original.
- 1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes with green chiles
- 2 red or yellow bell peppers, sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 1 onion, sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds flank steak (trimmed)
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1/2 avocado, sliced
- In a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker, combine the tomatoes, bell peppers, onion, oregano, cumin, 1½ teaspoons salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Nestle the steak among the vegetables. Cook, covered, until the meat is tender and pulls apart easily, on high for 4 to 5 hours or on low for 7 to 8 hours.
- Twenty-five minutes before serving, cook the rice according to the package directions.
- Using two forks, shred the beef and mix it into the cooking liquid. Serve with the rice and top with the avocado and cilantro.