Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Summer Squash Gratin

One of the best things about summer is the bounty of fresh vegetables- Squash, zucchini, and tomatoes are some of my favorites! We were given some squash and zucchini from my dad's garden, and when I stumbled across this recipe, I knew exactly what I wanted to make! I really loved this dish- it was fresh, healthy, and had great flavor. I strongly recommend you give it a try. I know I will be making it again!

Ingredients: (yield: 6 servings)
  • 2 tomatoes
  • 2-3 medium zucchini
  • 3 medium squash
  • 1 cup baby spinach
  • 1/2 cup reduced fat italian blend shredded cheese
  • salt and pepper
  • olive oil
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
  2.  Slice tomato into fairly thick slices and place on a baking sheet sprayed with cooking spray or lined with parchment. Sprinkle tomato slices with salt, pepper, and olive oil. Roast for about 30 minutes. You may want to start checking them earlier.
  3. Using a mandolin, slice the squash and zucchini into thin pieces. If you don't have a mandolin, you can do this with a knife- it will just take a steady hand and more time!
  4. Spray an 8x8 or 2 4x8 pans with cooking spray. 
  5. Layer the zucchini and squash. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. On top of that layer add slices of tomatoes and spinach. Sprinkle 1/2 of the cheese. Layer the rest of the zucchini and squash, seasoning every other layer. Sprinkle remaining cheese on top.
  6. Bake for 45 minutes or until spinach is cooked and cheese is browned and crispy on top.

2 comments:

  1. This looks delicious! I love making grilled veggie sandwiches and I think this would have a very similar taste and texture but just a different way to do it! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh how deliciously healthy! I love fun veggie recipes like this. Looks beautiful too :)

    Sues

    ReplyDelete