Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Chicken with Tomatoes, Goat Cheese, and Caramelized Onions

Chicken is a great ingredient because it is so versatile, but at the same time it is difficult because sometimes it just ends up being boring! I had seen this recipe on For the Love of Cooking, and while it looked delicious (I can't resist recipes with tomatoes!), I was a little reluctant to try it because I was afraid it would disappoint. There was just no way it could look as good as the picture! Well, I finally tried it, and I am SO glad I did. I think this just may be my new favorite chicken recipe. Yes, I realize that is a bold statement, but I think it's a true one. I'm already looking forward to the next time I make it!

Chicken with Tomatoes, Goat Cheese, and Caramelized Onions
Serves 4-6 (adapted from For the Love of Cooking)
Ingredients:
  • 1/2 sweet yellow onion, sliced thinly
  • 2 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 1.5 tbsp olive oil, divided
  • 1.5 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts (I had 3 that were 8 oz each so I cut them in half lengthwise- was perfect size)
  • 1 cup of baby heirloom tomatoes (or grape tomatoes)
  • Sea salt and fresh cracked pepper
  • Garlic powder
  • 2 tbsp fresh basil, chopped
  • 2-3 tbsp of crumbled goat cheese
Directions:
1. Heat 1/2 Tbsp olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add onions, sprinkle with salt and saute until golden brown and caramelized.
2. In large skillet, heat the the remaining 1 Tbsp of olive oil over medium high heat and season the chicken with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. (Make sure pan is hot before adding the chicken.) Cook for 4-6 minutes and flip. Cook for additional 3-4 minutes depending on thickness. Remove chicken from pan and let rest for about 5 minutes.
3. In the same skillet as the onions, add the baby tomatoes then season with salt and pepper, to taste. 
4. Cook for 3-4 minutes until the tomatoes are soft. Add minced garlic, stirring frequently for about a minute.
5. Pour the tomatoes and onions on top of the sliced chicken. Top with goat cheese and fresh basil.

1 comment: