Thursday, March 18, 2010

Clean Eating Shepherd's Pie

Shepherd's pie is a traditional Irish meal so when I saw the recipe for it in Clean Eating, I thought it would be perfect for St. Paddy's day dinner! I really like shepherd's pie so I was thrilled to find a healthy version that both Nick and I enjoyed! I was especially impressed with the serving size because oftentimes, I feel like magazines just have really small portion sizes to cut calories rather than having healthy ingredients. This was not the case for this recipe though! I made a couple small changes which are noted below in parentheses.


Shepherd's Pie with Buttermilk-Chive Mashed Potatoes (From Clean Eating)

Ingredients
  • 1 lb Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces (I didn't peel)
  • 1 clove garlic, whole peeled (I used 2)
  • 2/3 cup buttermilk
  • 1 tbsp fresh chives, chopped
  • sea salt and ground black pepper, to taste
  • 4 tsp extra virgin olive oil, to taste (I used about 2 tsp)
  • 1 lb lean ground turkey breast (I used half turkey/half 96% lean ground beef)
  • 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
  • 3 medium carrots, sliced
  • 1 celery stalk, diced (I used 2)
  • 1 tsp fresh rosemary leaves, finely chopped
  • 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
  • 1 tbsp tomato paste
  • 1/2 cup frozen peas (I used 3/4 cup)
Directions
Preheat oven to 375F. Bring potatoes and whole garlic cloves to a boil in a pot of water set over high heat. Cook until potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes, then drain well. Mash potatoes and garlic until smooth. Add buttermilk and chives and season with salt and pepper. Set aside.

Meanwhile, heat 1 tsp oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add turkey and cook, stirring often and breaking meat into small pieces. Cook until no pink remains, about 8 minutes. Drain and discard fat; set turkey/beef aside.

Heat 1 tsp oil in skillet over same heat. Add onion, carrots, celery and rosemary and cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are soft, about 8 minutes. Add cooked turkey, broth and tomato paste and continue to cook until most of liquid is absorbed, about 5 minutes. Stir in peas, transfer mixture to a shallow baking dish and cover with mashed potatoes in an even layer. Bake in oven until filling is bubbling and top is golden brown, about 30 minutes. let stand 5 minutes before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment