What is better than homemade ice cream?
Homemade Ice Cream with SPRINKLES!
Vanilla Ice Cream (adapted from Simply Recipes and Alton Brown)
Makes 1.5 Quarts
- 7 egg yolks
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 cups whole milk
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1.5 Tbsp vanilla extract
- Pour the heavy cream and milk into a saucepan, over medium heat. Bring the mixture just to a simmer, stirring occasionally, and remove from the heat.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the egg yolks until they become pale in color. (I whisked/beat them for 3-5 minutes.) Add the sugar and whisk to combine.
- Temper the cream mixture into the eggs and sugar by gradually adding small amounts, until about half of the cream mixture has been added. It is CRITICAL that you do this very slowly so you don't cook the eggs.
- Pour in the rest of the cream and return the entire mixture to the saucepan. Place over low heat. Continue to cook, stirring frequently, until the mixture thickens slightly and coats the back of a spoon. If you have a thermometer, it should be about 170 to 175 degrees F.
- Pour the mixture into a container and allow to sit at room temperature for 30 minutes. Stir in the vanilla extract.
- Place the mixture into the refrigerator, cover and store for 4 to 8 hours or until the temperature reaches 40 degrees F or below.
- Pour into an ice cream maker and process according to the manufacturer's directions. This should take approximately 25 to 35 minutes. Serve as is for soft serve or freeze for another 3 to 4 hours to allow the ice cream to harden.