Sunday, June 27, 2010

Turkey Chili Burgers

I am always looking at new turkey burger recipes to try but rarely do I actually stray away from my go-to recipe. I saw a recipe for Chicken Chili Burgers on this blog that I read pretty often so I decided to make them... with a few changes of course! One change I made was to use ground turkey breast instead of chicken. While they were good, I think in the future I would stick to chicken or ground turkey that is a mixture of light and dark meat as they were a little bit dry. Or maybe mix in a little bit of actual chili....hmmm, something to try in the future! Anyway, I liked the addition of the beans for both texture and nutrition.  Also, the flavoring was pretty subtle so if you love spicy, you may want to add extra spice. We topped them with reduced fat white cheddar with jalapenos, which was delicious!
We enjoyed them on buns from Nature's Pride that I received as a part of the Foodbuzz Tastemaker Program. Nick was quite excited because we got both white AND wheat buns! These buns were huge! I thought the wheat one was pretty good, and Nick really liked the taste and texture of the white ones.
 Ingredients
  •  3/4 cup canned kidney beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1 lb ground turkey
  • 1 small onion, minced
  • juice of 1 lime
  • 1/2 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/4 tsp paprika
  • 1 1/2 tsp chili powder
  • 2 Tbsp diced green chiles
  • 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
  • salt and pepper  
  • Reduced fat jalapeno cheddar cheese (or your own favorite)
Directions
  1. Slightly mash the kidney beans and then add all remaining ingredients. 
  2. Mix together so that all the spices are incorporated pretty evenly into the meat.
  3. Form into 4-5 burgers, depending on how big you want them. (We made 5 and they were plenty big).
  4. Grill or cook in a skillet (with nonstick cooking spray or olive oil) over medium heat until cooked through. During the last couple minutes, place cheese on burger so it can melt (we put ours on a little late...as you can tell by the photo but it was still good!)

No comments:

Post a Comment