Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Cinnamon Sugar Donut Mini Muffins

 I am not sure what it is about donuts, but something about them always draws me to them. I think it is probably the pretty sprinkles and icing. I have always wanted to make them despite my deep dislike of all things deep fried. I tried once, and it was an utter failure (not to mention my whole house smelled like "fried"), and I vowed to never fry anything again. Then there are the baked donuts you can make, but they require a special pan that I just can't justify buying, at least not for now :) So, when I came across a recipe for donut muffins, I was sold. I think their name describes them perfectly as they really taste like a cross between a muffin and a cake donut! And I definitely suggest going for mini muffin size because then they are like little donut holes.
 Cinnamon Sugar Donut Mini Muffins (adapted from Very Culinary)
Makes about 24-30 mini muffins
Ingredients:
For Muffins:
  • 3 cups all purpose flour
  • 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 3/4 cup milk, at room temperature
  • 2 tablespoons buttermilk, at room temperature
  • 10 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
  • 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
  • 2 large eggs, at room temperature
For Cinnamon Sugar Coating:
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
  • 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray mini muffin pan with nonstick cooking spray with flour.
  2. In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, salt, nutmeg, and baking soda. 
  3. In a separate bowl, whisk together the milk and buttermilk.
  4. In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar with a mixer until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time, until just combined. Set mixer on low speed, and beat in one fourth of the dry ingredients. Then beat in one third of the milk mixture. Continue to alternate until all ingredients are incorporated, finishing with dry ingredients. Be careful not to over mix
  5.  Fill the prepared muffin cups with batter. Bake until lightly golden and firm to the touch, about 15 minutes. Let the muffins cool in the pan for 5 minutes. Remove the muffins from the tin and let cool.
  6. Combine cinnamon and sugar in a ziploc bag. (I recommend gallon size, but quart would probably work). Once the muffins have cooled, brush each one with the melted butter.Then place a few muffins in the bag with the cinnamon and sugar mixture. Shake well to coat the muffins. Repeat.

4 comments:

  1. those look incredible, whit!! i may have to try a gluten-free version. :) and i love the idea of shaking them in the cinnamon and sugar bag. yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are amazing. Whitney made them for my birthday. She also made them for Ali's birthday, but Ali didn't get to try them because I ate them all. There. I said it. They were that good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those look gorgeous! I love how high the tops are. I'm going to make some tomorrow for breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  4. these are on my "to bake" list. I need to make them ASAP. They look great.

    ReplyDelete