I have had a box of bulgur in my pantry for a very long time. Let's just say I have owned this box since I was in college...that's right, it was at least 4 years ago. So, when I came across Roni's recipe for Sausage and Vegetables over Bulgur, I knew that was exactly what I was going to make to finally get rid of the box! The only thing that backfired is that now I want to buy more of it. It is super healthy- high in fiber and protein, and it is a good source of iron and B vitamins. What more could you ask for? I basically love anything that has a marinara or tomato type sauce, and this one was no exception. The sausage with the peppers, onions and green beans go really well together making it a very warm and comforting meal. It also comes together easily and is perfect for weeknight meal. I loved the bulgur in this recipe, but you could also substitute a whole wheat pasta if you want.
Green Lite Bites)
- 1 cup of dry bulgur
- 1 sweet onion, large diced
- 1 package of Spicy Italian Turkey Sausage cut in pieces
- 2 Bell peppers (I used one red and one green), sliced
- About 1 cup of frozen green beans, thawed
- 1 15oz can of tomato sauce
- 1 tsp dried basil
1. Cook bulgur according to directions on package.
2. While the bulgur is cooking, spray a large skillet with non-stick cooking spray. Start to cook the onion and peppers over medium high heat. Add the sausage and brown it. Then add the green beans.
3. Cook for 1-2 minutes and add the can of sauce plus about 1/4 can of water.
4. Sprinkle with basil and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for about 5 minutes allowing the flavors to merge.
5. Once the bulgur is done, scoop it into bowls and top with vegetable tomato sauce.