Sunday, February 1, 2009

Super Bowl Chili

I have been wanting to try this recipe from Cooking Light for a while so I figured the Super Bowl would be the perfect occasion. Nick and I both liked it a lot, and I will definitely be making it again. I especially liked the flavor the black beans added to it. I did make a couple of changes to the original- the main one being that I added some ground beef to it because Nick claims that it can't be chili without meat in it. It would be good either way. The recipe as I made it is below.


Ingredients

* 1 teaspoon olive oil
* 1 cup chopped onion
* 1/4 cup chopped yellow bell pepper
* 1/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
* 1 garlic clove, minced
* 1/2 lb 96% lean ground beef
* 1 teaspoon brown sugar
* 1 tablespoon chili powder
* 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
* 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
* 1 (16-ounce) can stewed tomatoes, undrained
* 1 (15-ounce) can diced tomatoes with green peppers and onions
* 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
* 1 (15-ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained

Directions
Heat the oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add beef, onion, bell peppers, and garlic; sauté 5 minutes or until tender. Add sugar and remaining ingredients, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 30 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment