Oatmeal is such a delicious and healthy breakfast! There are so many variations you can make depending on your taste and what you have on hand. It is always fun to experiment with new ingredients. This week for breakfast for dinner night we had caramelized banana oats! I have to take every opportunity I can get to use the kitchen torch!
Recipe makes 2 large servings
1 ripe banana, cut into small pieces
3/4 cup, steel cut oats
3 cups water
1/4 cup raisins
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp cinnamon, optional
1/2 banana, sliced
sugar, to taste
milk (or almond milk is my preference)
1. Put water, cut up banana, vanilla, and raisins in a pot and bring to a boil.
2. Once it begins to boil, add oats. Reduce heat and simmer for about 25 minutes or until oats have absorbed water. Stir in cinnamon.
3. While oats are cooking, cover one side of banana slices with sugar. Use kitchen torch to caramelize sugar. You can also do this in a broiler, but watch carefully.
4. You can add milk and sugar to taste depending on your personal oatmeal preference :)
5. Top with caramelized banana slices.