Saturday, January 3, 2009

Sauteed Greens with Tomatoes and Onions

I love greens!! I tried to duplicate Calypso's callaloo. It didn't really taste like theirs, but I still loved it! Nick thought the greens were a bit too bitter for him but I disagree. I could have eaten them all by myself.



Ingredients:
* 1 bag of pre-washed greens (I used a combination of collard, mustard, and turnip)
* reduced sodium chicken broth
* balsamic vinegar
* 1/3 cup onion, diced
* 1 clove of garlic, minced or chopped
* 1 can diced tomatoes, partially drained (I used diced tomatoes with onions and garlic)
* approx 2 oz sliced smoked ham, cut in small pieces

Directions:
1. Spray saute pan with olive oil and heat over medium-high heat.
2. Add onion and garlic to pan and saute until onions are slightly softened
3. Add greens to pan (you may have to do this in batches if greens overflow the pan).
4. Add chicken broth to keep greens from sticking and to help them cook down (approx 1/4-1/2 cup).
5. Add the can of tomatoes and ham to greens and stir.
6. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for about 10 minutes.
7. Add a couple dashes of balsamic vinegar- I didn't measure but I would guess 1-2 Tbsp.
8. Cover and continue to simmer until greens are completely cooked.
9. Salt and pepper to taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment