Monday, January 26, 2009

Skinny Scalloped Potatoes



I saw this recipe in my Clean Eating magazine (which is one of my favorites!) and wanted to make it so I could use my new mandolin that Mr. Ron and Ms. Janice gave me for Christmas. The recipe turned out well despite the fact that I forgot to buy chives. To make up for this, I put a thin layer of sliced onion in the middle. The recipe was good as is, but I think you could also make a lot of variations. I want to try it adding turnips and sweet potatoes- not sure how that would turn out though! I did add a sprinkle of low fat cheese on top and used an extra carrot. The recipe below is the original with my changes in parentheses so you can make it however you want! Also, you can halve the recipe and bake it in an 8x8 pan.




Ingredients:
- 2 tsp whole wheat flour
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1/4 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 lbs yukon gold potatoes, sliced into 1/8" slices
- 2 carrots thinly sliced (I used 3)
- 1/2 cup chives chopped (I used a few thin slices of onion)
- (1/4 cup reduced fat cheese)

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees
2. Place flour in medium saucepan over low heat.
3. Gradually add milk stirring with a whisk until blended.
4. Stir in broth and pepper, bring to a boil over medium heat and simmer until mixture
thickens- about 5 minutes- and remove from heat.
5. Layer 1/3 of potato mixture in bottom of 11x7 baking dish.
6. Top with half of carrots and sprinkle of chives (or thinly sliced onion).
7. Repeat layers and end with potatoes.
8. Pour milk mixture over potatoes, and top with remaining chives.
9. Cover dish, and bake for 45 min.
(10. Sprinkle with cheese, and broil for 2-3 minutes.)

No comments:

Post a Comment